Monday, March 3, 2008

House of Sickness

Well, not the whole house. Just me. For the past few days I've been getting sicker and sicker and thought I had the flu. What started out as the flu ended up as Pneumonia.

This morning I was so sick I couldn't hardly breathe or get out of bed. ... and I landed on the doorstep of my Doctor around noon. One look at my hot raging self with a 103. degree temperature and a listen to my lungs, she decided I needed to be admitted to the hospital. I just can't do that. ... or what I mean is, I don't want to do that.

I think what saved my butt from landing on a hard plastic bed in downtown, "you're better off at home, than in the House of Sickness" hospital ... is the fact that I'm a IV nurse.

I happen to work for a pharmacy that does IV drugs, so Marlboro Man carted my butt out the door and made a mad dash a couple blocks down the street to the pharmacy, and we brought back a bag full of Goodies, and a IV pump. I got IV Rocephin, IV Levaquin, a steroid shot in the butt, some really good "make you sleep" cough medicine and some nebulizer drugs.

So tonight, I'm home with an IV in my hand, and tomorrow I'll repeat the two IV antibiotics at home myself, start a steroid dose pak, then oral Levaquin the next day. I hate being the patient ... especially when I'm my own nurse. But it beats being in the hospital for a few days.

I am scheduled for surgery in Indianapolis this Thursday for a lumpectomy and exploratory in my breast, and one thing I'm certain though ... I just earned myself a cancellation.

Just for the record, the lump in my breast has been there for years and years .... it's just getting bigger and is having a few changes ... there is no reason for alarm, it's just time to take it out. So I'm ready ... then I got sick. So now I'm going to have to psyche myself up all over again!

One thing I can say .... this flu that is going around is wicked stuff.

Be Blessed Everyone.